Yields 12 mini tots
- 1 cup zucchini, grated (for me this was one zucchini, about 7 inches in length)
- 1 egg
- ¼ of an onion, diced
- ¼ cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- ¼ cup dry breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°. Grease a mini muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Grate the zucchini into a clean dish towel. Wring all of the excess water out of the zucchini that you can (it won’t be much, but every little bit counts).
- In a medium bowl, combine all of the ingredients and season with salt and pepper.
- Fill each muffin section to the top, pushing down on the filling with your spoon so it’s nice and compacted (otherwise they’ll fall apart more when you try to take them out of the tin).
- Bake for 15-18 minutes in preheated oven. The top will be starting to golden. To easily remove from the pan (without scratching it to death), run a plastic knife around the edges of each tot and they should come right out.
- The sharp cheddar can be substituted with whatever cheese you have on hand.
- There are breadcrumbs in this recipe, but you can use gluten-free breadcrumbs if you want the recipe to be gluten-free.
About the Author: Becky Tarala, author of The Two Bite Club, is a stay-at-home mom to two whose food blog features recipes from my family’s past as well as simple favorites. Becky is a hopeless optimistic, vegetable gardener, coupon-aholic, cookbook hoarder, and potato lover.