Cherry Bourbon Crumble Bars
A cocktail and dessert all wrapped into one delicious sweet treat! If you decide to enjoy the crumble bars for breakfast, remember it is always five o’clock somewhere. All three layers of the bars share a perfect balance of flavor. A delectable compliment to a Bourbon Cherry Sipper, a big piece of Cherry Bourbon Crumble Bars. The crumble bars have minimal sugar added, yet the bars hold a perfect balance of sweetness from the cherries. This recipe could easily be diabetic-friendly and made gluten free.
If you want to exclude the alcohol all together, just use fresh sweet cherries instead of bourbon-soaked cherries. Here are few other treats using some boozy love: Cherry Rum Chocolate Candies, Irish Coffee Blondies, No-Bake Booze Berry Cheesecake.
- For Crust:
- ½ cup (one stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup cashew meal
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- For Cherry Filling:
- 1 cup cherry preserves
- ½ cup bourbon soaked cherries (or 1 cup and minus out ½ cup fresh cherries) (recipe in notes)
- ½ cup fresh cherries (optional)
- 1 Tbsp Cloister bourbon honey
- 2 Tbsp corn starch (mix with about 2 tablespoon of water, mix together well)
- For Crumble Top:
- 2 Tbsp AP flour
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- ½ cup oats
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, cold, cut into cubes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray cooking spray on 9 x 9 inch pan.
- For Crust:
In small bowl mix together melted butter, cashew meal, flour, and coconut sugar.
- Bake crust for about 10-15 minutes, until golden brown, depending on oven. Let cool.
- For Filling:
In small sauce pot, burner set to medium-low, cook together cherry preserve, bourbon soaked cherries, and fresh cherries. Mix water and cornstarch, then add to cherry filling. Let filling thicken, will take about 5-8minutes. Add honey and stir together well.
- For Crumble:
in small bowl, mix together with fork or hands butter, brown sugar, old fashioned oats, and AP flour. Mix together with fork or hands until completely incorporated.
- To assemble bars: pour cherry filling over cooled crust, then place small clumps of crumble around top of bars.
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes, depending on oven, or until crumble is golden brown
Bourbon Soaked Cherries – pit and slice in half fresh sweet cherries, place in 32oz canning jar, add about 2 cups of bourbon or until bourbon covers cherries, keep in refrigerator, let soak for at least 24 hours.
About the Author: Cafe Terra Blog is a sweet and savory food blog where there is something for everyone. It is a place where you can sit down, relax, and enjoy new recipes along with family favorites. Come on in, Have a seat!