Perfect Paleo Crepes (with Orange Sauce)
- Equipment: Any blender or hand mixer is helpful but not required.
- An 8-inch skillet, nonstick if possible.
- 4 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons thin unsweetened coconut milk or filtered water. If your coconut milk is thick, you can use half coconut milk and half filtered water.
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Sweetener is optional, 0 to 1 tablespoons
- Coconut oil for frying
- Add all the ingredients to any blender. Blend well. If you don’t have a blender, beat with a hand mixer or whisk very well by hand.
- Preheat an 8-inch pan over medium heat. Brush the pan with a bit of coconut oil before making each crepe.
- Use 3 tablespoons batter for each crepe, in a 1/4-cup measure filled three-quarters full. The batter should be quite thin. If necessary, you can thin the batter with a little water. The first crepe is a test for the batter and the heat level, so don’t be alarmed if it looks a little strange—it just takes time to fine-tune these variables. Adjust the heat if necessary.
- Pour the batter into the pan and twirl it around gently to coat the surface. Watch care-fully, and the crepe will start to dry out on the sides, slightly pulling away from the pan, about 1 to 2 minutes. When the entire crepe can slide and pull away from the pan, release the edges with a spatula and flip it gently by grabbing the edges. When the second side is gently browned, after about 1 minute, slip it onto a serving plate.
- Make all the crepes, putting them in a stack, and cover with a dry towel.
- 1 orange
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 to 5 tablespoons sweetener to taste
- 1∕3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon nutritional yeast (optional, for buttery flavor)
- Strawberries, sliced (optional garnish)
- Oranges, peeled, sliced (optional garnish)