- Chop 1 onion and saute it in olive oil until it is translucent.
- Then add half of a large can of diced tomatoes or if I have a fresh tomatoes I use 3-4.
- Juice of 1 orange
- salt, pepper and 1 tsp of paprika
- Simmer, covered for 15-20 minutes or until most of the liquid has cooked off.
- Blend the sauce together using an immersion blender or regular blender.
The Shrimp and Veggies
1. If I have on hand, I like to also add mushrooms and zucchini. This time I had some broccoli so I used that! I first let the veggies saute in about 2 tsbp of olive oil. I make sure everything is coated. Then I add about a 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water and cover the pan. Cooking on low and mixing occasionally I let the veggies steam until the carrots are able to be broken up. When they are done, I add them to a bowl so I can use the same pan to cook my shrimp.
2. I usually use 1 pound of cleaned shrimp, tails off. I have also used sliced steak and diced chicken instead, but I prefer the shrimp. I add 1 tbsp of olive oil,juice of half of lemon and some parsley to the shrimp. Cook until they are cooked through and bright pink, usually 2-3 minutes.
3. I then add the veggies back into the pan and mix with the shrimp. Add your blended sauce and heat everything up together for a few minutes.
About the Author: Reesa Lewandowski is the voice behind Momma Lew’s Blog. A stay-at-home-mom of 2 preschoolers, she strives to serve healthy meals to her family. Reesa has been blogging for over 3 years and hopes to provide information to her peers to make life easier for everyone!