Gluten Free Recipe: Butternut Squash Soup
Guest Post by Jenny Manseau, Culinary Arts/Culinary Nutrition student and author of the blog Creative Cooking Gluten Free.
- 3 Celery Stalks – rough chop
- 2 Carrots – peeled and rough chop
- 2 cloves of garlic – rough chop
- 1 inch piece of ginger – rough chop
- 2 small butternut squash – peeled, seeded and chop into 1 inch pieces
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (Optional)
- 2 tablespoons Wholesome Natural Sweeteners Maple Agave Nectar
- 3 Cups homemade vegetable stock (or Pacific Natural Foods low sodium vegetable broth)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
In a large stock pot over medium heat add olive oil. Add the garlic and ginger, cook for 1 minute. Add celery and carrots and continue to cook for 3-4 minutes. Add chopped butternut squash and vegetable stock. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, until squash is fork tender.
Remove pan from heat. Using an immersion blender blend soup until smooth. Season with salt, pepper, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper. Return to burner to warm throughout. Add maple agave nectar right before serving.
About the Author: Jenny Manseau is a Culinary Arts/Culinary Nutrition student and author of the blog Creative Cooking Gluten Free. Jenny created her website after being diagnosed in 2008 with Celiac Disease and takes many “regular” every day recipes and alters them to the gluten-free diet.