Charity of the Month for March – Friends of Wayne Animals
EatSmart fans will select each Charity of the Month in 2012. Followers of EatSmart will submit short stories about their charity’s mission and why it’s meaningful to them. We began our Charity of the Month donations last year and are continuing this worthwhile tradition.
For March 2012, loyal EatSmart employees, Dominic, Emma and Tux, have chosen the Friends of Wayne Animals. We will be donating 50 cents for every new Twitter follower during the month of March. (So spread the word and woofs!) The Friends of Wayne Animals is a volunteer nonprofit located in Northern NJ.
They are dedicated to the welfare, sheltering and placement of homeless animals. They also help to educate the public about the humane treatment of animals, help prevent animal cruelty and promote animal welfare. If you would like to learn more about this local shelter, please visit their website.
The following is from the eyes of our furry friends…
For over 15,000 years, we worked hard to earn the distinction of being “man’s best friend.” We work side-by-side our human counterparts, around the clock, to help brighten their days and remind them to take exercise breaks. Below are just a few of the many ways we help our human friends:
- Studies of people undergoing stress tests have demonstrated that the presence of a dog lowered their heart rate and blood pressure during testing.
- The use of prescription drugs and the overall cost of caring for patients in nursing homes dropped in those facilities where companion animals became part of the therapy.
- We can help humans relax and focus their attention away from their problems and worries.
- We help decrease feelings of loneliness and isolation by providing companionship.
- Families surveyed before and after they acquired a pet reported feeling happier after adding a pet to the family.
Dominic and Emma can be found lounging around the EatSmart office and maintaining positive relationships with the postman, FedEx and UPS drivers. Tux works remotely and can be found tweeting through Puppy Tweets as @lookatmytux.
Story by Karen Welby, Marketing Director of EatSmart Products. If interested in submitting a charity for consideration, please email email@example.com. The donation amount will be capped at 500 new followers.